Thursday, May 10, 2012

RACE DAY

Weekly Mileage: 34

Workout
1 mile shakeout
13.1 mile race

Breakdown
I started to get sick about 2-3 days before the race, which was just terrible timing. On race morning (woke up at 4:30), I took some medicine for the cold symptoms and some pain medicine to take the focus off how much my throat hurt and then just tried to focus on the race. I got really lucky when I was moving up through the corrals at the start and ran into an old friend of mine from Rochester, Steve Rosinski. Steve and I used to race against each other back in our high school days. He is a semi-professional tri-athlete now and was just running the race to get his long run in, so he agreed to run the whole thing with me. It was monumental in keeping me composed throughout the race, because I will be honest and say I really didn’t feel well.

The goal was to go out in 7:10 for the first mile and hopefully feel well enough to hang on to that for the whole time, if not get better. I figured, even without being sick, I was realistically going to be lucky to run 1:32:30 at best, and more likely 1:34-1:35 based on my workouts.

We went out in 6:58 and stayed between 6:48-7:02 all the way to the 10.5 mile mark, which I am still surprised by. From 10.7-12 miles it was nearly all uphill, and it really crushed me. We logged a 7:30-something for the 11th mile and a 7:40 for the 12th mile (that last hill was brutal), which really slowed me down from where I was at 10.5 miles, but still left me way ahead of my goals. The last mile was mostly downhill and flat. I was moving about as fast as I could go the last mile and Steve was running a couple steps in front of me yelling at me the whole way, which really helped. As we got closer to the line, I realized that finishing under 1:32 was a possibility and we kicked through the line in 1:31:50 (7:00 per mile average).

After all the results got sorted out, including a couple late additions Monday, I ended up 193rd overall out of 12,135 finishers. My goal all along was to finish in the top 250 overall, so I am really pleased with that performance. Who knows if I could have ended up a little better if I wasn’t sick, but all things considered, I couldn’t be happier.

After the race, I was greeted by Bri and her family and the awesome sign that they made for me (which will be hanging in my office soon). I was so happy to have them there at the finish line Sunday, a gesture that was really not necessary but just shows how amazing that family is. Bri has been such an inspiration to me, and so many others.

Best Parts of the Race
Other than having Steve to run with, the race was just an amazing experience. I wish I physically felt better and could have enjoyed it more (I was suffering pretty good that day), but the thousands of people lining the course, from bands and cheerleaders to massive groups, it was awesome. It's just one of the reasons I love the city of Pittsburgh so much. Also, huge shoutout to all the volunteers that make a race like this possible. You were all amazing.

More than Just a Race
We ended up raising $1,769 for the Mario Lemieux Foundation, which is just amazing. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart to everyone that donated. This has truly been a life changing experience for me. If there is ever anything I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Final Thoughts
 On January 1 I weighed 206 pounds and hadn't run a serious step in nearly four years. On May 6, I weighed 167 pounds and averaged 7:00 per mile for 13.1 miles. I would say by any stretch of the imagination, this whole thing has been a huge personal success. But, it doesn't stop here. This has made me miss the old me, the guy that ran twice a day and lifted and wanted to be faster all the time. I'm not 21 anymore, but I still have a few years left to get a little faster, so as soon as this sickness passes, we're going to hit the ground running towards trying to get back in the range of my PRs. (No, I probably will never run an 800 in the 1:50s again, but we can shoot for 16 minute 5ks again). Going to chat with some coaches and work on a plan for what's next, whether that is attacking the 5k distance and building strength and speed, or shooting for a late fall marathon. Who knows? All I know, is that the 200 pound fatty is gone and is never coming back! Thanks for all the support. This has been life changing. Onward.








No comments:

Post a Comment